Test should be done by an illustrator with no connection to web design.
The test will be recorded on film.
They should have no prior knowledge of the test.
Illustrations should be done on a white board.
Create a large, landscape area for them to draw in.
Ask them to draw an illustration on a white board.
The illustration can be of whatever they like but must contain certain things:
Several separate elements.
One representation of a body of text.
Once they have completed the illustration I will draw another area for them to draw in, this time the area will change the orientation and size of the canvas they have to draw on.
They will be instructed to redraw the same illustration in the new area, whilst maintaining the look and feel of the original illustration.
This test will then be repeated in exactly the same way but this time the illustrator with have the full disclosure of the exercise.
They will then have 10 questions to answer:
- Do you feel test 1's original large scale illustration has the same look and feel as test 1 small scale illustration?
- Do you feel test 2's original large scale illustration has the same look and feel as test 2 small scale illustration?
- What elements did you feel were important when transferring the designs to a smaller canvas in order to make sure they maintained their look and feel?
- When you downsized your illustrations to small scale, how did you feel the scale of the canvas affected your illustration? For both exercises rate out of 10 how important scale was. (10 being extremely important, 0 being not important at all.)
- When you downsized your illustrations to small scale, how did you feel the orientation of the canvas affected your illustration? For both exercises rate out of 10 how important orientation was. (10 being extremely important, 0 being not important at all.)
- Did you feel less constricted in test 1 than test 2? For both exercises rate out of 10 how constricted you felt. (10 being extremely constricted, 0 being not constricted at all.)
- What effect did that have on the creative process? For both exercises rate out of 10 how creative you felt. (10 being extremely creative, 0 being not creative at all.)
- Did you feel you predetermined a simplified design for test 2's initial illustration in preparation for the scale of test 2's small scale canvas? For both exercises rate out of 10 how simplified you felt the initial designs were. (10 being extremely simplified, 0 being not simplified at all.)
- How did the knowledge of the exercises outcomes affect test 2?
- Did that hinder or focus your creativity in any way?
Woodwork - flexible frame
Create a piece of wood with grid set holes that are drilled equal distances apart.
Create a flexible wooden frame that can change size both on the horizontal and the vertical.
Create website pieces that represent elements on a webpage:
These will be of varying size.
Get people to create a website, test a few people with progressive enhancement and a few with graceful degradation.
Ask them the same questions as above.